Top Tips for Swimmers
Before Training - It is good to warm and stretch your muscles before training to warm the body through and prepare it for exercise.
- To do this you can do blood flow exercises such as arm circles, squats, light jogging.
- And stretches for areas such as calves, quads, biceps, triceps, back.
- All Stretches should be held for a minimum of 8 seconds.
- All stretches should be felt but should never hurt.
- Avoid a heavy meal within an hour before the session.
During Training– Before returning home.
- Always bring a drink to training (Preferably water or fruit squash)
- Always arrive on time with any kit you may own (Float, Pull Buoy, Flippers, Hat, Goggles and Drinks Bottle)
- Ask questions if you are unsure
After Training– Before returning home.
- Collect your belongings and rinse with fresh water to prevent them from developing odour.
- Drink plenty to re-hydrate your body.
During A Gala
- Always wear Sherwood Kit.
- Bring plenty of drinks to remain hydrated throughout the event.
- Eat high energy snacks such as Bananas, Jelly, Lucozade drinks and high energy bars.
- Borrow books, videos and information from the club library to help you to improve your strokes and analyse strokes of professional swimmers.
Log Books- whether it be during each training session or for personal best times
- Take regular notes on training, sets and make targets to improve on in the future.
Set Targets- whether it be during each training session or for personal best times
- Set realistic short term goals.
- Once goals are achieved, sustain them and look to progress further.
- Ask for help with goal setting from your coaches.